CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 13, 2008

Cake Baking!


Kaylee and I have been planning on learning how to decorate a fondant cake. I tried decorating one of Kaylee's birthday cakes with buttercream when she was for and it was hideous. (She still thinks it was absolutley wonderful, though. I love the mind of a 4 year old!) We have been studying how to make these cakes by keeping up with the tv shows, "Amazing wedding cakes" and "Ace of Cakes". We also watched a very informative video on making fondant cakes. We were so excited about the prospect of making the cake that we both made a goal to do it. Kaylee's goal was for her Faith in God and mine for my personal progress.

Here is the baking crew. We are ready to color some of the fondant so we all put fun gloves on. Kaylee's friend, Christine Wills, came down and helped a bit.

Look at my cute apron. I just LOVE it! My sweet sister-in-law, Rockin' Tami Gordon (who is my idol in all things sewing and computery), made this for my for my birthday. I don't even think I sent her a Thank You card because I am SO lame, but isn't it the cutest! I adore it! Thanks so much Tami! I am the cutest on in the kitchen now:)

Here are the kids with the finished product. Look at Carter's tongue. He was wanting to tear into the cake about 2 hours before we were done.

He is still eyeing the cake. Here are my helpers. They all did a great job. Baking and decorating a cake with 3 helpers wasn't as stressful as I thought.

Three cake mixes and about 10 hours later, this is the finished product. I think it turned out SO cute! Kaylee and I were SO excited!
All-in-all I have to say that the fondant cake was much easier then decorating with frosting and tips. It was a long process, but definitly a creative and fun one. Kaylee is putting together a cake design book of cakes she wants to try.

Good thing Nicole's birthday was on Friday. We invited David and Nicole, their kids, and the Backus family down to help us sing Happy Birthday to Nicole and to eat the cake.

McKell had been sad because Nicole didn't have a cake on her birthday. I think this made her happy. Look how cute she is in the picture.

7 comments:

Julie Hoggard said...

That is an awesome cake!! I completely agree that a fondant cake is much easier than a buttercream. I bet it tasted supurb too!

allison said...

love, love, love it! when can we sign up for the class? great pic of mckell. too cute!

The Gordon Bunch said...

U R Amazing! I wish I had your desire, drive and creativity!! It turned out awesome and I am grateful it was used to celebrate my birthday and make McKell happy. Thanks!!

The Browns said...

Ok...you need to have a class and teach me how to make one!! That is so cute!

Amber said...

I am so impressed with the cake. It looks so great. I randomly came upon your blog from Dawn's page and I was so excited. I miss all you guys being here in Utah.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

WOW--I'm totally impressed!!! Great job! Love the apron too! (seriously--name ONE THING you cannot do!)

The Sorensen Bunch said...

You did it w/out me!!!! It looks soooo good. Now you have to teach me, that is what you goet for going ahead and being ambitious and passing off your personal progress goals!