
This is my Grandma, Dorothy Hatch. She is my mom's mom. I got the oppurtunity to visit her on Mike's and my weekend getaway. Mike had to go to globe for a hearing and so he dropped me off in Apache Junction.

This was her and my Grandfather about the time they got married. When she looked at this picture she said, " yep, I was a fatty then." I had to laugh because that is a word that I use:) So funny because she is 4'11" and very little.

This is my Grandfather, Leanord Hatch. I never had the oppurtunity to meet him. He died 2 weeks after my parents were married.

This is my cute Grandmother. I asked her how old she was in this picture. It was taken after her husband died because she was teaching at the time this picture was taken. She is an amazing women. She is a go-getter and does what she wants to do. She is turning 78 this year and she just added on to her house this past year and a half. Believe it or not, she and my Aunt Gwyn did most of the work themselves. The family finally had to tell her that she couldn't get up on the roof anymore to fix it. She is very "matter-of-fact". If it needs done, she doesn't waste anytime, she just does it. One of my favorite things that she told me during the visit was "If you can't laugh at things, life isn't worth it". She told me this when I asked her about some trials in her life. She doesn't hold on to the negative memories and makes the best of a situation.
My grandmother converted to the church right before she married my grandfather, Leonard. She had 7 children, Norece, Darnel (My Mama), Don, Ross, Ray, Gwyn & Lynn. Her husband died two weeks after my mom was married. My Grandmother's dad died just a few months afer that. She had 5 kids still at home to raise. I asked her if it was hard and she said that she did what she had to do. I asked if her kids every gave her a hard time and she said, "No, I was a very stricked mother. They new I wouldn't put up with it." I laughed, but looking back, she amazes me with her strength and determination. She is all about being a hard worker, self-sufficient and being independant.
My grandmother's favorite color is red and she loves shoes. She once told me that when she would have a rough time she would just go buy a pair of shoes. She had a ton in her closet and I used to love looking at them. I could fit into them when I was young she is only 4'10 and her shoe size is about a 4.5 to 5 in womens).
She has had some health issues this past year and she was telling me about her funeral. She said that "she knows people will miss me, but they need to get over it and move on with their lives and be happy." I have to smile when she talks about not wanting any extravagences at her funeral. "Just bury me in cheapest pine box you can find". I was very touched when she said she had dreamed of her husband. He told her in her dream that he is waiting for her whenever she is ready to go. I know she will beable to stand beside him soon. She is such an amazing person. What a wonderful example she has been to me.



0 comments:
Post a Comment